This past weekend I finally got around to installing a pen for the chickens. In the process I coerced my wife into getting a new coop for the girls. Their old one wasn’t made by a great craftsman and was getting rickety pretty quick. So much so, I was using a 2×4 to prop one side up.
Dismantling the old junker. I pulled out the nails and screws of the 2×4’s so I could reuse them for other projects.
This new coop was built by my neighbor chicken farmer friend. Last fall when his lawn care business went dormant for the winter he started building coops. He put a few on craigslist to sell and has become so busy that he has now enlisted the help of another neighbor just to help keep production flowing. He currently has 7 orders for various kinds of coops. He offered me the “friendly neighbor” discount on this one. I couldn’t pass it up. I mean come on. Exterior nesting boxes and even a window planter.
I also got around to planting potatoes. Complete with reused 2×4’s from the old coop.