On Saturday Chris, my husband, and I spent the entire day working in the yard. Several months ago we began working on our compost bin but the area had taken some time to finish up. We had to clear the rubble from the demolished fire pit and concrete slab first and that took several trips to the recycling center which is at least a thirty minute drive from our house on a weekend morning. We took advantage of the 70* weather and thought we were only going to get a half day of work in before the rain came, however the cold front held off and we worked the entire day away.
The rubble was finally cleared in the morning and so we decided to start working in the foundation of the compost bin. We have had to cut down dead trees that were on the property when we moved in but also several live magnolias that were topped and ragged looking from being directly underneath the power lines at the front of our property.
We needed something bigger for the base and looked to an oak tree, one of the first cut down on the day we moved into the house, that was still in need of being burned. Instead of burning it we decided to cut it down to the required sizes, 10′ on the back, 5′ on the sides, and then proceed to roll those logs up a slight incline and across the yard.
Let me tell you, that was a workout! It also required some maneuvering and steering which is hard to do with a very heavy piece of wood.
There are two pieces of rebar on each end and we had to lift the trees up and onto the rebar before sliding it down. Yep, a little tricky! (Not the bottom oak pieces or the two oak pieces on the side, we put the rebar through the holes drilled in the wood instead of living them onto the rebar.)
The only other wood cut down now that is left is pine but we really want to burn the pine so that we don’t encourage pine beetles. We have one more magnolia we want to cut down but it is larger than the city will allow us to cut down without getting permission, so we will have to call first. I don’t see why they wouldn’t let us cut it down, it is also under the powerlines and causing problems.
A little bit of progress but at least we are finally getting somewhere!
Any questions, feel free to ask…compost bins are widely varying!